Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Art of Frugal Gift Giving

There is a Goodwill store next to the bus-stop where I board my bus from. I was several minutes early today and decided to get out of the heat and humidity and look through some of the store’s offerings. I have found several barely-used, wonderful items at thrift stores. Today, I spotted a seemingly brand-new book of cocktails, that I picked up for a cocktail-crazy friend’s birthday (in September). The total price - $0.89. :-)

I like to receive gifts – and I like to give them too. I am always giving things to people – usually my little sister, but to others too. And most of them aren’t fancy or pricey. I give things to people at random times – it does not always have to be a birthday or anniversary. For example, while I sell my used textbooks on Amazon, I give away lots of the fiction books that I read (they don’t fetch any money on resale). I know a friend who is as voracious a reader as I am – and she is always excited at receiving a “new” book. I am constantly picking up other things too – pots left by the curbside for a gardening friend, coupons that I don’t use for another frugal friend, and so on. And most of the fun gifts I have given and received aren’t too pricey. Here are a few tips for frugal gift-giving:

If you can, make it – Gifts that are made by hand – handmade cards, crafts and so on, offer a double serving of joy to the receiver – firstly, any handmade gift is unique and one-of-its-kind. And secondly, there is no doubt that if you spent enough time, effort and energy to make something, you most definitely care. I try and make things that I myself enjoy – mostly jewelry or crocheted items. I have fun making them, and a packet of beads or a roll of yarn is delightfully cheap too.

Keep an ear open at all times – I often hear people saying, “I don’t know what to get her – I never know what she would like.” I rarely run into this problem because I keep my ears open. People will often inadvertently tell you about things that they like and enjoy and would want – a friend of mine is always saying how her shoulders ache – a perfect person to gift a massage to. My sister is always shopping – she’s a perfect person to give a gift card to. I keep a notebook in which I jot down things when people give me these hidden hints. Come birthday, anniversary or Christmas time, I get my notebook out and know what to give them. Knowing what you could give someone can help avoid last minute expensive gift-buying or splurging on something that the receiver would probably not use.

Keep and eye open at all times – Most times, the gifts I give are not bought right before I give them. I sometimes pick up gifts months in advance if I see a good deal – like the cocktail book from this morning. Or at a garage sale or store close-out. However it is also important to remember that you have bought people something. I have a “gift shelf” where I store anything that I have bought intended as a gift. Periodically, I’ll clean out my home and place things that I want to give away on this shelf too.

Your gift does not need to cost any money – Some of the best gifts are free. For instance, I offer to babysit friends’ children while the couple has a fun night out. I offer to drive my sister to the mall, carry her bags and help her shop although I despise long shopping trips – and she loves the company and my perspective. I once donated a vacation day to a grieving co-worker, and was astonished at how touched he was. Time, effort and energy don’t cost a great deal – but can be heartwarming. I believe that the best gift that one can give another is just “help” – through any small way.

It was my birthday last Thursday, and the best gift I received was a boxful of second-hand books purchased at the library sale for $5. Frugal – and fun! Happy frugal gift-giving!

0 Comments:

Blogger Templates