Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Money, Money and....

I feel that I should start labeling my posts “More Money 1”, “More Money 2” and so on. Since I started getting serious about my savings and debt-repayment, I have kept an eye open for new avenues of generating income. I would love to take a secondary job and generate some regular income. However, since I am a graduate student working hard on qualifiers prep and my dissertation proposal at the moment, I don’t have too much time to spare to work any decently paying second hand job. So I look around here and there for small scraps of work that I can do without too much effort or travel. And I have been incredibly lucky in finding a bit of money here and there. Here are a few sources of income that are either coming in soon or that I am considering right now.

1. My friend whose dog I pet-sat last month is going out of town again with her family and asked me if I would pet-sit again Thu-Sat. Yay! That’s another $25 coming in.
2. I saw a note in one of the university buildings for an English speaking partner for an international student. Two hrs/wk @ $7.00/hr. I called, and she and I have agreed to meet today and see if this is something that we would like to do.
3. An additional 5 hrs of research assistantship/wk in the Fall semester.
4. I found a new tenant for my landlady for the room next-door. According to an agreement that I had with my landlady, she will now give me $200 off the next month’s rent.
5. Selling more stuff on Craigslist and Amazon.
6. Any other ideas???

That’s all that I have right now. Most of them are very small income generators. I do keep an eye out, but money is hard to come by – especially in a small college town, and especially in the summer. I would appreciate any other ideas about what to do and where to go to look for more money!

P.S. Yesterday, I participated in the simulation research study. They are going to pay me $120 that will be added to my payroll. I won’t get it at the end of this month – too late for that. Also, they will probably take part of it out in taxes, but I think I shall still count it as a whole $120 this month towards my monthly snowflake challenge.

0 Comments:

Blogger Templates