Sunday, June 29, 2008

What This Site (and I) Will Not Be

I was re-reading through parts of Dave Ramsey’s “Total Money Makeover” before I returned it to the library, and a testimonial caught my eye that had irritated me at first, and irritated me a lot more the second time around. It was about a young couple who scrimped and saved and lived an impoverished life for a long time until they were able to save enough money for a 100% down-payment on a home. I think that planning on paying a 100% down on a home is admirable, but I don’t think that a young and just-married couple should cut out everything but the bare necessities and deprive themselves of almost every bit of sensory pleasure in order to buy a house all-out sooner. Can a lovely honeymoon enjoyed in the first flushes of conjugal love be completely recaptured by a vacation one takes after several years of what appeared to me to be a majorly financial partnership? I think not. It apparently worked for the young couple in question, but I am sure it will not work for me.

And so, I think it is time that I decided what I will and will not do in my journey towards financial freedom. I will definitely be frugal – as frugal as I comfortably can be. I don’t think I believe in never treating myself to anything nice, eating all my meals at home, buying only low-quality clothes, food etc. I will be young only once, and I plan on enjoying myself as much as I can. I know I have wasted a big chunk of my youth incurring debts that I will take a few years to pay off. But I will not deprive myself of the rest of it. I’ll take a few cuts, sure… but I’ll do so without turning into a miser. My answer to the $40 wines I used to buy shall not be drinking water for seven years, but rather shall me the $10 bottle of wine which has been marked down to $8. I shall not replace my hitherto expensive vacations with a no-travel policy, but shall rather plan for shorter vacations, and save the cash for them before I do any of the spending.

And my blog will reflect the same – I shall talk not just about how I make and save, but also about how I spend my money – in frugal albeit fun ways. This is not going to be a blog that talks about how to cut out all expense and live on a shoestring budget, how to manage not eating out in four months, and so on. If you choose to live so, please do. I can afford not to because I know that in a few years time, I will be earning many times more than I am now. I also am able to completely forgo things that have been unnecessary frills in order to splurge on my own special indulgences. I also know that it is essential that I enjoy my financial awareness for it to last any length of time.

What do you think? Should I be cutting out all expense in order to get out of debt? Or is my more lenient approach okay too?

3 Comments:

3beansalad said...

I agree. Life is to be lived. I don't blog a lot about my indulgences, but they are there.. BELIEVE ME!! I just try to certain that my indulgences are responsible. I think we all know people who live by the "life is to be lived" motto to the point where they lay awake at night wondering how the next bill will be paid. There's a fine line between enjoying life and rationalizing poor choices.

Azalea said...

How completely true! Now, that is a trap that I must be careful not to fall into. :-)

Giraffe Spender said...

Enjoying your blog! And your attitude towards finance! (where did you get the "o-meters" on your blog? I've been looking and can't find them anywhere!)

Blogger Templates