Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Lowest Pay I Ever Got Offered

I met with a couple today about babysitting their child over the summer. They were a sweet couple and the child was adorable! Everything seemed to be going well - I thought things were going better than I expected, because they were looking for someone to babysit approximately 32 hrs/week (could be more or less), and I was thinking - wow, that's almost like a full-time job - the pay will be worth it. They told me that they would pay a flat weekly rate rather than an hourly rate. And then they offered me $80/week. at 32 hrs/week, that is $2.50/hr - about one-third the minimum wage ($7.25 in this state)!! I was completely taken aback - I pointed to them that the hourly pay was way too low and they asked me what I would be willing to take. Unfortunately, the shock had blurred my mind and I said I'd think about it. I would love to work with them - they seemed so lovely, and I would like the money - but I can't do it at that pay. I had initially thought $8-$10/hr. Nearly 4 times as much as they were offering. Should I negotiate to minimum wage? That would be approximately $900/month for 2 summer months. Is it worth it? I am almost at the point where I want to give up the idea. What do you think? Any feedback is appreciated!

2 Comments:

3beansalad said...

Obviously, the choice is yours but wouldn't do it. Babysitting 32 hours / week is a lot. It will leave you tired and without energy for much else. If the pay isn't making up for it, you'll grow to resent it. Plus, the fact that this family is paying so little for one-on-one care for their son might be indicative that they have other unrealistic expectations. If you hate it, it will be really hard to quit this job compared to working someplace like the Mall (where you'd be making similar money). Also, do you really have time for 32 hours / week? Don't over commit yourself. Remember, the the sooner you can graduate the sooner you'll make a decent salary again. If possible, I'd hold out for mostly night-time babysitting jobs at a good hourly wage. Not every family is willing to pay $10 / hour, but MANY are. ($10 / hour is the rate a I charged). I live in a non-coastal town with a large state university, so the economics of this town aren't unrealistic for the rest of the country. OK- you asked for opinions so there you go! Hopefully that's not more than you wanted!

Azalea said...

That's exactly the kind of advice I am looking for! Thanks. I decided not to take the job, and was feeling pretty stupid, but your advice has cheered me up.

Blogger Templates